Monday, February 23, 2009

Leipheimer wins Tour of California; pro peloton dies of boredom

I am delighted that Amgen continues to sponsor cycling, raise awareness of healthy lifestyles, and help victims of cancer. Very excited! Grateful, even; it helps my Svennycakes continue to do what he does and get paid some dinero.
I am glad that Lance came back on his way to helping eradicate cancer…with a Giro/Tour contention as a side-benefit. I LOVE what he has done for the sport; doping allegations or no.
I am stoked that some American teams showed up and raced their tails off. Even more stoked that the Euros threw down and reminded the American kids what training 4 months in the Belgian drizzle will do for your HTFU-ittude.
But can the Gods of Cycling please grant us a Tour of California winner with a speck of personality? Egad. The entire peloton fell asleep (and subsequently got their arses handed to them) from his boring racing style and inability to crack a smile or make a single interesting comment. Phenomenal athlete and competitor: yes. Compelling character? No.Thank goodness Mr. Armstrong is baaaaack!
PS: With this post, I may have joined the ranks (temporarily, I promise!) of cyclists who like to grouse and moan. Sorry!

No comments: